March 4, 2014
9 Secrets of a Working Chef
from Chef Brian Dragos
A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to teach a CEU accreditation class at the ACF of Arizona’s Advantage Waypoint. I shared a few trade secrets and wise words, and decided to share some of the highlights with you.
1) “They can’t fire chef who works like dog!” - Sound like Confucius? No. Doug Tran, my Brother in law.
2) “Sell what they want—not what you want or what the trends say! People will tell you through their actions and their orders.” - Bernie Hoogestrat, Owner, Ocotillo Golf Club
3) “Chefs should be in their kitchens. If people want to see you, they will ask for you. If you do go out, go with a spotless coat.” - David Boge, GM, Ocotillo Golf Club
4) “You can’t be a great chef until you’re 40.” - Red Dragos and others
5) “Be a racehorse, not a donkey.” - Ken Edwards, President, TriStar Hotels
6) “Gordon Ramsey doesn’t work at the Radisson.” - Chef Brian Dragos
7) “The most important person in the kitchen ain’t you.” - Chef Brian Dragos
8) “Food cost isn’t the only thing, but it could be.” - Chef Brian Dragos
9) “Don’t shoot where you eat!” - Chef Brian Dragos