May 5, 2017
Enter the 2018 DR. L.J. MINOR CHEF PROFESSIONALISM AWARDS
It’s time again to nominate your favorite ACF Chef for the Dr. L.J. Minor Chef Professionalism Award, presented by Minor’s and the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
The Dr. L.J. Minor Chef Professionalism Award was created to recognize the ACF chef who best exemplifies the highest standards of professionalism in today’s kitchen— through certification, continuing education and training, culinary competitions, development of young culinarians, and community involvement. To learn about the award and the 2017 national winner, Chef Dominick Laudia, CEC, AAC, click here.
The Chef Professionalism Award was founded in 1990 through the generosity of Dr. Lewis J. Minor, and was renamed in his honor shortly after his passing. It also serves to commemorate the efforts of Dr. Minor, AAC; Louis Szathmary, AAC, HOF; and Lt. Gen. John D. McLaughlin, AAC. The combined efforts of these three ACF leaders helped achieve a long-sought goal for American chefs: official recognition of executive chefs as “professionals” in the U.S. Department of Labor’s Dictionary of Occupational Titles, which previously categorized the occupation under the “domestics” category.
• Four (4) regional finalists receive a silver medal and silver plaque, as well as registration and $2,000 towards travel and accommodations to attend the National Awards Ceremony at the ACF National Convention in July, 2018.
• One (1) national winner will receive a gold medal and gold plaque, an honorarium of $2,500, and a donation of $2,500 towards a student scholarship in the name of the national winner to an institution in the U.S. that offers an ACFEF-accredited culinary or baking/pastry post-secondary program. The program is to be selected by the national winner.
To apply, submit the application form along with the following requirements:
• Resumé and statement of personal philosophy regarding chef professionalism.
• A list of activities with supporting documentation.
• A high resolution, digital, color photograph of candidate in a white chef coat.
The deadline to apply is September 30, 2017. To learn more about the award and see eligibility requirements, visit www.acfchefs.org.
Mail or email the completed application form, along with all attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
American Culinary Federation
180 Center Place Way
St. Augustine, FL 32095