July 22, 2014
Summer Corn Schmears
from Chef Mary Locke
As the summer season starts so do my cravings for the local farmer’s fresh, sweet corn. Florida corn has already hit grocers’ shelves but I’ll hold off until early August for the sweetest, crispest ears straight from the wagon on the side of the road.
Up near the Finger Lakes region of New York there’s a local farmer who is so legendary he’s asked to supply the annual Corn Fest every year. No other ears compare. Of course, he also has a typical roadside stand complete with the coffee-can-honor-payment system and bags for carrying home your prized selections. The challenge is getting there before the “Sorry, all gone today” sign is hung, as his corn is no secret among the neighbors in the area.
But the most important aspect of corn season is the eating. Boiling, roasting, steaming, grilling or eating corn “au natural” on the way home—the “schmear” is key. Creating another layer of flavor for that already perfect ear is as simple as a teaspoon of MINOR’S® Roasted Garlic Concentrate combined with softened sweet cream butter and a few grinds of sea salt.
And the possibilities don’t end there. We like to offer an array of “schmears” for our grilled ears.
- Fire Roasted Poblano Concentrate with butter, Cotija and a squeeze of fresh lime
- Herb de Provence Concentrate and goat cheese
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Concentrate thinned out with a dab of your best olive oil and toasted pine nuts
- Fire Roasted Jalapeño Concentrate and mashed, ripe avocado
- Chipotle Concentrate, blue cheese and crumbled bacon
Sweet corn is a summer staple, and the skies the limit when pairing it with a special spread. So let the season and the “schmearing” begin!