January 11, 2013
Chef Aran Essig's - Jerk Crusted Beef Rib Roast
As winner of MINOR’S® My Story Contest, Executive Chef Aran Essig will be spending 5 nights in Lyon, France, attending the 2013 Bocuse d’Or Culinary Competition. If you missed his story, or would like to see it again, click here. Or follow his travels as he posts pictures and stories of anything and everything culinary along the way.
Having learned at a young age how to improve upon dishes by using MINOR’S bases, Chef Aran has taken his skills to the University of Northern Colorado where he is the Executive Chef. To give back, he’s sharing a new take on the classic that got him hooked.
Jerk Crusted Beef Rib Roast
A rub Chef Aran uses to create a flavorful crust perfect for meats such as prime rib.
1 each - Beef Rib Roast.
1/3 cup - MINOR’S Beef Base.
2 TBS - Brown Sugar.
4 oz - Yellow Onion, minced.
1 each - Scotch Bonnet Pepper, minced (optional if you want to add some heat to the crust).
1 cup - Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- Combine the beef base, sugar, minced onion (and scotch bonnet pepper if desired)
- Rub entire Rib Roast with the mixture coating all sides
- Season generously with Jerk Seasoning on all sides
- Wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight
- Place Rib Roast in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 250 and roast to an internal temperature of 132 degrees. Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes before slicing.
Serve with Candied Orange Rum Glazed Sweet Potatoes, Brown Butter Cashew Broccoli and a few Fried Plantains for garnish. Add a little of the pan jus from roasting to MINOR’S Creole RTU Sauce or MINOR’S Caribbean RTU Sauce to finish.